Friday, October 10, 2014

Ironman World Championships 2014: Kona Day 4

Parvilla Cycle and Multisport are fortunate to have two outstanding athletes racing in Kona this year and they are going to be providing their daily updates right here on the Parvilla Cycles Blog!

Leslie DiMichele qualified at Lake Placid earlier this summer by crushing the ladies field and winning the overall age group title. Crissy Fuentes traveled to Lanzarote in late Spring and won her age group to punch the ticket to Kona for yet another year!

Day 4 - Oct 9th

Leslie

Just a couple of days to go and now we start to look ahead to the race day more and more and we especially the weather! As far as race insights, I always expect the worst at Kona, high wind and heat. Other than preparing mentally for the day, I don't really change anything from a regular race! I want to be the fastest I can be (the Guru Cycles CR.901 will make sure of that!) and hope that's enough for a good place. Keep in the zone and the mind on the prize.  

More swimming was done in the Ocean and we made it out to the Coffees of Hawaii floating bar for a quick shot of espresso!



Crissy
This is my 5th Kona and it has been a very rewarding journey! I have finished top 10 in my AG consistently and as high as 7th twice here on the Big Island. In order for me to qualify for the big show, I need to win an Ironman within the same calendar year as slots are at a premium.  This year in Kona will be my 12th Ironman since 2007.

All these IM's and long distance training over the past 7 years have taken a toll, and since mid-summer I find myself with an almost detached hamstring! Ouch, it is preventing me to run like I used to and it will be making me dig deeper than ever on Saturday!

I will keep my nutrition with Hammer Sustained Energy on the bike and Hammer gels on the run. I will concentrate hard on staying in my HR and power zones throughout the ride and hydrate a lot! It will be hot and humid. Hopefully, I will be able to do my best on the run which may well be more of a jog than a run, I will do it all on perceived exertion rather than pace or HR like I did at World's 70.3 in September. Ultimately it will be about  enjoying my day and finish with a smile! (and a top finish!)

More ART today!

No comments:

Post a Comment