Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ironman World Championships 2014: Kona Day 1

Parvilla Cycle and Multisport are fortunate to have two outstanding athletes racing in Kona this year and they are going to be providing their daily updates right here on the Parvilla Cycles Blog!

Leslie DiMichele qualified at Lake Placid earlier this summer by crushing the ladies field and winning the overall age group title. Crissy Fuentes traveled to Lanzarote in late Spring and won her age group to punch the ticket to Kona for yet another year!

Day 1 - Oct 6th

Leslie
Day 1: first full day in Kona! Flight from DC went smoothly and bike box with the Guru CR.901 arrived in one piece. Started the day with a swim down at Dig Me Beach on the course with my coach and her athletes. The swim was super rough and the water wasn't as clear as normal, so we didn't get to see as much wildlife. But we did swim with a pod of dolphins on the swim back, so cool. 

After the swim, I embarked on bike building, which was not entirely as smooth as I had hoped. A quick trip to the local bike shop and we were good to go. Once we had that sorted, everything was put together and we headed out for a ride on the Queen K.  It was windy and hot! Not sure we can hope for favorable conditions this year based on today, but I guess we'll see! 


Leslie and Nate (Sherpa for the time in Kona)

Crissy
Day 1: When I got in the water to do my swim early today I realized why this place is special. I met my two good friends and age group world champions, Diana and Cherie, with many others to swim the course perfectly marked and supported!

We had an endless pool set up at the pier where we could check out strokes with mirrors and a nice adjustable current.
 

I went to pick up my bike which I sent together with all my gear, how easy that was! And it will be nicer at the end of the race to turn it all in! This is the first time in 12 IM and over 20 1/2's I have traveled without my bike.

Of course, nothing beats the Queen K road and a wonderful hot, humid and windy ride in Kona. It is what makes this race unique!


My first day in Kona was very nice and ended with good friends here on the island over a lovely dinner as we watched the sunset.




Good friends at Dig Me Beach

Guro on the Queen K

Day 1 Sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment