Wednesday, October 23, 2013

8 Questions with.......Thomas Gerlach, Pro Triathlete


If you don’t know Thomas Gerlach you should! If you have raced a triathlon this year he was probably there racing in the pro field.  He is one of the most prolific professional triathletes on the circuit and in his own words “I know my trump card in life is my ability to work harder”. He has used that card to move up from the age grouper ranks to elite amateur and now professional.  Although 2013 isn’t over, this year may be the best yet for TG as last week saw his professional debut on the Big Island at the Ironman World Championships. If you know how the KPR works for pro’s you know what an accomplishment that is!

Parvilla Cycle & Multisport touched base with TG as he traveled back from Kona and started preparation for Ironman Florida in just two weeks time.  IMFL will be the 6th ironman of the season and the 7th will be Ironman Arizona at the end of November.

PARVILLA: Congrats on the finish in Kona. You cracked the top 40 in the pro field (beating the trirating.com predictor). With the KPR system it’s tough for new pro’s to get to the “Show”. Was it a season goal to get there?
Thomas Gerlach: Actually no it wasn’t really a goal to get there. Of course sponsors love to have athletes at the big dance, but it was my first full season on the Ironman circuit. For those unaware the season starts on September 1st and goes thru the end of August. I had the race on the schedule but that was just more because that was what was expected of me, but I was just expecting my first full season to be about gaining more experience. I never expected to get the points to get there but it happened and I made it.

TG in Kona 2013

PARVILLA: How did Kona differ this year as a Professional compared to your first trip as an age-grouper in 2010?
Thomas Gerlach: To tell you the truth it is completely different. The pro ranks are much more strategic than it was as an age-grouper. I think a lot of this is because pro's compete for place while I think most age-groupers compete for time. For me the swim is really difficult out of the pro field being my weakness at the pointy-end. As an age grouper it was ok and if a pace was too great I could always drop off and grab some other feet. The same principal rained true for the bike and the run. On the bike I actually biked 35 watts higher than 2010 but it wasn’t much faster at all. The ride was also much more variable. On the run I cramped pretty bad at the half-way point and the body just shut down. Tough to pinpoint exactly what the cause was but I definitely overperformed as an age-grouper and underperformed as a pro.


PARVILLA: You are known for being a hard worker and anyone that reads you website (www.thomasgerlach.com) can see how hard you work every week.  You spend much of your time in Tuscon, is that with a group or primarily solo training? And is that ideal?
Thomas Gerlach: I split my time between Madison, WI and Tucson, AZ and most of my training is solo. I do some group training but I find that most people like to get their workouts in early. I know people are busy but they sacrifice sleep to make it to those early morning workouts and sleep is really my number one priority.
In addition, Tucson is pretty cold in the morning, especially in the winter, I don’t believe constant training in the cold is good for the body. I think it leads to injury and I prefer to let it warm up a bit before heading out. If groups are active later than I’m more likely to train as a group but much of my training is solo.
I think a primary weakness of people is they spend too much time group training. They use the motivation that is naturally provided as a crutch, but then don’t learn to suffer by themselves. This feature may not be as important in the age groups, and becomes less and less important in the pro ranks every year, but things can still spread out and you need to learn to push on your own because you may find yourself alone on race day. Lastly, I refuse to go anywhere by car so all group workouts start with me biking to the start of the group. This tends to be more of a problem in the morning as well as it tends to be dark and I prefer to do as much biking in daylight for safety reasons.

PARVILLA:  Since your first triathlon in 2006 you have been a prolific racer, even now as a pro.  There are very few weekends during the summer that you don’t race, you must love racing or is that a specific part of your training plan?
Thomas Gerlach: I do love racing, but I rarely ever go to the well. Just like TeamTBB coach, Brett Sutton, I am a firm believer that you do what it takes to win a race or solidify a position and then back off. Stressing yourself to the max is too hard and you can only dig into that well so many times.
Often times in smaller races I will swim hard, bike hard, and cruise the run. This way I can get swim race experience, build race specific fitness from the bike, and not suffer the prolonged recovery from a damaging run. It really helps me build and I look at everything as a building process. My entire career is building for that moment when I lay it out on the line and achieve my full maximum potential as an athlete.

PARVILLA: Age groupers are always looking at how they can get faster. You went from a high 10hr ironman in 2009 to 9:30 in Hawaii in 2010 and then sub 9hr at Arizona in 2011 as a pro.  That’s a great progression, just hard sensible work or a dramatic change in approach?
Thomas Gerlach: Slow and steady, just focusing on improving all the elements of the sport. I don’t come from a swim, bike, or run background so there was room for improvement but I was happy with the progress. I think trying to achieve too much too soon results in a high rate of injury and burnout and that is no good for the individual or sport.


PARVILLA: We saw you in Louisville this year (literally as you ran by me on your way to 3rd place on the podium) and let’s just say you have a distinctive running style. It must work?
Thomas Gerlach: Yes that is a true story. We in the pro ranks have a word for it, and that is “janky”.  There are probably some environmental factors that have lead to it. Mostly specifically being run over by a biker in Chicago. He was going down hill and either had a seizure or lost control and ran directly into my right knee from behind. My running form has never been the same since. But I see so many distinctive runs, it is almost like a fingerprint. I am working on improving it everyday and hopefully one of these day I will look like Rinny.
Ironman Louisville Podium 2013


PARVILLA: We know that you still have IMFL and IMAZ on the schedule for 2013 but how does 2014 look for you? Still a heavy race schedule and focus on the KPR? Or gunning for that first Ironman victory? What have you learned this year as you get closer to the first pro win?
 Thomas Gerlach: IMFL is most likely off the schedule. IMFL was something I was going to do if I didn’t do Kona. My bike is still on Tribiketransport and I’m not sure when I get it back and I want to put together a good race at IMAZ. As of right now I am thinking about putting in a good 3-week block for that race and giving it my all. 2014 is unplanned but I plan to do even less travel than in 2013.

PARVILLA: Everyone looks at the pro triathletes and assumes that it must be a good life, just a little bit of swimming, biking and running every day.  You get to travel to some great locations around the world.  It can’t be all on fun and games….can it?

Thomas Gerlach: It is so much hard work. Don’t get me wrong it is incredibly rewarding but the pay isn’t great and the low hanging fruit is gone. The gains come small and it takes hundred and hundreds of hours to make the smallest gains. As Macca says, you really have to “Embrace the suck” to keep growing as an athlete.  For me, I wouldn’t trade it for the world and love every minute of the journey, but I am always hesitant to recommend it as a viable career choice.

TG at Ironman Louisville 2013


PARVILLA: We know that you rely heavily on your sponsors and supporters, any shout outs to those that make it all happen behind the scenes?

Thomas Gerlach: I always have a lot of people to thank. 2XU has been with me since I was an age-grouper and I can’t thank them enough for my wetsuits, race kits, and compression wear. Powerbar for great nutrition products that fuel my body in training and racing. Trisports for carrying all the gear I need. Atomic for helping me to go as fast as possible by reducing drivetrain resistance. Cobb Cycles for allowing me to sit on a saddle for hour after hour. And Rudy Project for keeping me aero on the bike while keeping my eyes protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment