Thursday, October 17, 2013

8 Questions with........Crissy Fuentes



Before she raced Kona 2013, Parvilla’s Crissy Fuentes discussed a few pre-race questions with us.

PARVILLA: Was training status quo compared to last year?

Crissy Fuentes: I focused more on specific training. For example, many more bricks, running at least 10min. after biking once a week.. My tempo runs were very well thought out, distance and speed. Nutrition was great. I added juicing to my diet, lots of beets. Also I added lots more yoga this year.

PARVILLA: How was your recent block training after IMMT (in which Crissy won her age group)?

Crissy Fuentes: I recovered for a few days but never stopped training. I raced Worlds 70.3 three weeks after IMMT and that was my speed workout for Kona (Note: Crissy placed 3rd at 70.3 Worlds)

Crissy winning her age group at Ironman Mont Tremblant, 2013


PARVILLA: Do you train with anyone or do you prefer solo?

Crissy Fuentes: I swim with the local ABC masters group. I run solo and I bike once a week with a group or just one other person. I do my long rides solo.

PARVILLA: You changed you bike this year? How has that helped?

Crissy Fuentes: Yes, I was fit for a custom Guru CR.901 by Parvilla Cycle & Multisport. It is a sweet bike, I improved my bike time in Kona 25 min from 2012! 

Crissy's Guru CR.901 on the Queen K in Hawaii



PARVILLA: It seems to be the trend among athletes; if the fitness is equal, fighting for a watt or two through gear is a worthwhile effort it seems, from aero apparel, power meters and wheels to hydration systems?

Crissy Fuentes: Honestly, I raced without numbers this whole season! Not on purpose it just happened, I raced on "perceived effort", it worked pretty well. I have a good feel for long distance, I train long hours so I dial in my nutrition and hydration well. I use heart rate still and I am now, slowly learning about power, 2014 will be the "power year" using my Stages Power Meter!


PARVILLA: You have had a busy schedule this year with a few European 70.3m in the early season and then an Ironman focus late in the year? Do you think an early 70.3 race focus helps later in the season?

Crissy Fuentes: I love doing a 70.3 race early on, it helps me know where I am and what I need to work on for my season.

PARVILLA: How did your Age Group win at IMMT change your strategy/focus leading into Kona? Do you think you can win in 2013 after a podium in 2012?

 Crissy Fuentes: :  I have been able to win on hilly courses as well as flat (IM FL) and each win no matter where, helps your confidence. winning IMMT (North American Championships) was the race I trained for all summer on my new Guru. I felt very comfortable and very much in control, this is imperative to do well in Kona in high

PARVILLA: How important is it to you to block out the final days just for you? Or do you like the Kona festivities?

Crissy Fuentes: I tend to do my own thing yet I participate it what the race offers to us, the athletes. The most important thing about sports, is to meet people from all over the world! Kona offers you this opportunity, exposure to the top triathlon companies, ART, distributors and last minute coaching advice.
Crissy enjoying Kona 2013 at Dig Me Beach!








No comments:

Post a Comment