Thursday, January 30, 2014

La Vuelta Puerto Rico 2014 - It is a about the Bike

La Vuelta Puerto Rico 2014 - It is all about the bike!

La Vuelta Puerto Rico is an amazing event and far more than just a “ride around the island”. Rain, wind, pot holes, pace lines, climbs and descents… make it an endurance ride like non other I have ever done. The organization is excellent with amazing location selection for rest stops and an abundant supply of food. Be assured that it will push you well past your comfort zones but you can’t help but grin the whole way round - it is just a great time.

The Parlee Z-Zero getting ready for action

Last year I was using a borrowed bike that was not set up for long rides and I paid the price. It was my decision to use the bike so I had no one to blame but myself and the result was some short term nerve damage in my hands that took a couple of weeks to go away. I was nervous about this happening again this year and took steps to try to ensure that it would not be a problem again. So this year’s Vuelta Puerto Rico was all about the bike!

Many of us have a bike in the garage or back room that is literally a work of art. It never sees rain, it is pimped out with ti bolts and light weight bottle cages and is only brought out on special occasions. I have to confess that I am lucky to have a couple of these machines to ride. So when it came time to pick the bike to go to Puerto Rico to get abused, the selection was easy – my Parlee Z Zero. I had this bike designed and built last summer with this event in mind. Geometry is just a bit on the comfy side, a bit taller in the head tube and able to take 28mm tires. I had it built up with DA9070 (50/34 and 11/28 drive set up) which currently in my opinion has no competition, some Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels and Hardshell 28mm Gatorskins. Then to make sure I did not have hand problems again, I had Joey add some pipe insulation to the top of the bars and then double wrap some Lizard skin around it.


The set-up this year was awesome.....perfection

The result – perfection. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my Z Zero is the smoothest, most forgiving frame that I have EVER ridden. It nearly floated down the road. No saddle sores, no hand numbness, no nerve damage and I felt great every day. The bike was simply amazing and outperformed all my expectations so much so that I have only had one day off since the event and am already back training this week.

I want to thank the guys at Parlee Cycles for doing such a great job on this frame. Ride quality for any kind of endurance race/event is unsurpassed with the Z Zero. I plan to keep this set up through the spring for training so stop in, have a look at Parvilla Cycles and take it for a spin and see for yourself. The proof is in the bike!



No comments:

Post a Comment